[wplug] NAS advice

DK curlynoodle at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 20:45:07 EST 2007

On 3/22/07, Shane Liesegang <shane at shaneliesegang.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if anybody on the list had any experiences (good or bad)
> that they'd like to share regarding NAS devices. I've seen good reviews for
> both the Buffalo and Infrant lines, but not a lot of details.
>
> Is it possible, for example, to set up one pair of drives as a RAID 1 and
> have the others as separate drives (or a RAID 0) and then mount them
> individually? I would envision getting a terabyte system, using half of it
> for rsync-driven backup and the other half as a media server for the house.
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Awhile back, I setup FreeNAS, http://www.freenas.org, in a virtual
machine to try-out.  It was very easy to install, and the webUI was
comparable to other hardware NAS devices I have used.  One may now
download a VM from the website to use with VMWare Player if you don't
have Workstation.

FreeNAS is still beta software, so it is not recommened for production
use.  Just keep that in mind.  Currently, it only support software
RAID.  Its based on FreeBSD, not Linux, so I really know little of the
nuts & bolts.

Dave