[wplug] NAS advice

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Mar 22 17:51:49 EST 2007

> I was wondering if anybody on the list had any experiences (good or bad)
> that they'd like to share regarding NAS devices. I've seen good reviews for
> both the Buffalo and Infrant lines, but not a lot of details.

The Infrants are garbage.  The Buffalos are nice.

The Infrant we had would lose it's configuration if the power glitched.  This
resulted in all the data on the drive being lost when I was forced to
reconfigure it (there was no way to reconfigure the Infrant without having
it automatically reformat the drives)  We sent it back.  When
the Buffalo arrived, the first thing I did with it was put a bunch of
(unimportant) files on it and pull the plug to see if it would boot back
up with the files still there.  It did, so we kept it and it's still
working great ~6 months later.

> Is it possible, for example, to set up one pair of drives as a RAID 1 and
> have the others as separate drives (or a RAID 0) and then mount them
> individually?

I'm pretty sure this is possible.  In our case, we just wanted 1 big RAID 5.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com