[wplug] application/framework to record heterogeneous personal information

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Thu Mar 22 11:58:45 EST 2007

> Anecdotally, I've heard similar things about other totalitarian regimes --
> the record keeping and bureaucracy is second to none.  The idea behind this,
> I believe, is to discourage independent action and accumulate power in the
> upper levels of the bureaucracy.

 	Awesome.

> I only bring this up because I too have thought quite a bit about an
> inclusive personal record keeping and information tracking application.  My
> gut feeling is that it would be quite a bit of work to keep everything up to
> date in this database, and if it wasn't kept up to date, and wasn't entirely
> inclusive, what's the point?  (Also, I worry that I would turn into a
> totalitarian dictator, or worse, a creepy person.)

 	One thing you can do to help with the data-entry issues, is
*infer* your actions. This is what a cell phone is supposed to do for us
in the future -- track our movements, identify our actions, and remind us
to pick-up toothpaste if we run out.

 	I kinda wanna do the same thing, and have resorted to keeping
every receipt I generate. I imagine that someday I will OCR them or
something, and track the addresses printed on each receipt, and do maps of
my whereabouts over time -- and the expected tax documents, which are the
entire reason for me keeping receipts in the first place.

 	Barcodes are the other things, if you're tracking product use,
groceries, or other barcoded things. I want to track the
home-depot/house-construction expenses for my house blog too.

 	PlutoHome (http://plutohome.com) I think is supposed to have
support for grocery-listing and product consumption.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.zhrodague.net