[wplug] application/framework to record heterogeneous personal information

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at alumni.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 22 09:18:21 EST 2007

Dear all

Inspired by the unbelievable bureaucracy that hunts my daily personal and
professional life, I'm beginning to feel the need for a software application
that will make it easier to record anything that might be of use for future
reference.

Let me explain it by example: These days I'm fighting some physiological
challenges. In order to reclaim some of the money I'm spending on doctors,
hospitals, prescription drugs, physiotherapy etc, I need to have absolute
proof of everything I spent and when, how, for what.

The need also arises to trace back to some examinations from a previous life
(10 or more years ago) that someone has stored somewhere, but noone is
exactly sure...

Wouldn't it be great if an application existed to be able to track all that
jazz? It would be able to perform string searches and look up anything from
anytime. All drugs, prescriptions, diagnoses, examination results would be on
its database. It would be easy to link one doctor's visit and the resulting
diagnosis to future paperwork/X-rays etc.

Is anyone aware of anything that could remotely satisfy this need? I recently
read on the MyLifeBits project
http://research.microsoft.com/barc/mediapresence/MyLifeBits.aspx that has
some aspects of what I'm looking for but no working prototype.

This doesn't have to be medical only. I'd love to have the financial angle too
and be able to track my expenses in accordance to other events.

The closest I can think of is a wiki, but it's too static in terms of data
presentation... Any ideas?

Cheers

-A