[wplug] ldd ?

Brandon Poyner bpoyner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 20:31:32 EST 2007

On 3/21/07, Zach <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/21/07, Brandon Poyner <bpoyner at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > ldd stands for "list dynamic dependencies", static binaries won't be
> > linked to dynamic dependencies.  What information did you want to know
> > about the static binaries?
>
> Yes I realize that, at the time I did not know if the executable was
> static or dynamically linked. I want to know what libraries the binary
> calls.
>
> Zach

The quick way is just to run file against the binary, it will tell you
if it is statically or dynamically linked:

$ file /sbin/insmod.static
/sbin/insmod.static: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
(SYSV), statically linked, stripped
$ file /sbin/insmod
/sbin/insmod: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
(SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs),
stripped

Another option besides readelf is objdump:

$ objdump -T /sbin/insmod.static

/sbin/insmod.static:     file format elf32-i386

objdump: /sbin/insmod.static: not a dynamic object
DYNAMIC SYMBOL TABLE:
no symbols

--
Brandon
Kiva.org - Make a small loan, Make a big difference