[wplug] setting up two wireless networks

Tim Lesher tlesher at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 09:24:17 EST 2007

On 3/17/07, Rick Reynolds <rick at rickandviv.net> wrote:
> I'm looking for some howto or other recipe that will show me how to
> setup two different wireless networks in my house.

Wireless networks are my day job, so I've done this a number of times. :-)

It really depends on what wireless router you're using.  Assuming
you're using a piece of hardware that can handle multiple SSIDs either
with stock firmware (like a Cisco or Symbol AP) or via replacement
firmware (like a Linksys AP), I would:

1. Leave your existing network alone.
2. Add a new open virtual wireless LAN (VLAN) with a different SSID.
3. Enable MAC filtering to reject all devices not approved up-front on
the open VLAN.

If you're worried about security, add:
4. Turn off SSID broadcast on the open VLAN.
5. Keep the open VLAN disabled except when they are visiting.

Personally, I run an open VLAN at my house for the same reason, but if
you're not familiar with the related issues, then you really want to
disable it when it's not actually in use.

--
Tim Lesher <tlesher at gmail.com>