[wplug] setting up two wireless networks

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Mar 19 08:59:38 EST 2007

Rick Reynolds wrote:
> I'm looking for some howto or other recipe that will show me how to
> setup two different wireless networks in my house.
>
> I have friends that come over that don't bother protecting their
> internet connection at their house.  So they're not familiar with
> setting up encryption, etc.  They don't see my network available
> (because I'm not broadcasting my SSID) and it's always a bit of a hassle
> to help them get connected.
>
> I think a better way to go is to setup a second wireless network.  It
> would be open, broadcasting its SSID, but would provide some firewalling
> from nastiness on the internet itself (IP spoofing, etc. - a standard
> set of firewall rules).  But most importantly, anyone on the open
> network would not be able to see computers on the encrypted network
> (where my computer will be, plus others in the house -- my file server,
> etc.).
>
> I have just one internet connection, so both networks will eventually
> end up connecting to my main router.

Rick,

What you're talking about shouldn't be a big deal, and shouldn't cost a
lot of money, but will cost some money.  There are two ways that you can
do, both have a moderate amount of complexity.

The first, which is probably a bit easier, is to get an additional
WRT54GL (the L is very important).   These devices run about $60 or so.
  Then install the DD-WRT firmware.  Using DD-WRT you can do a lot of
very neat stuff, like Chilispot for authentication, or you can just
leave it wide open with some bandwith throttling elements.  If I were in
your situation, I'd investigate the use of Chilispot or No-cat auth with
DD-WRT.  Both can force some degree of sign-in or password use before
letting them on.  Another alternative is to use MAC filtering and just
add their MAC addresses to the open access point.

Your other option is to use an older box with some supported WiFi card
and run IPCop on the system.  The gets a bit more involved and
necessitates another computer running, which means more power consumed
and what not.

If I were doing this, I'd run DD-WRT on a WRT54GL with no-cat auth to
authenticate users.  Either that, or teach my friends how to have
multiple WiFi keys in their wireless profiles.  NetworkManager is your
friend (at least in Linux).

--Patrick