[wplug] non dell system builders

Brandon Poyner bpoyner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 07:53:35 EST 2007

On 3/14/07, Patrick Wagstrom <pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Dell came back with a pretty outrageous quote, mainly because they don't have
> a rackmount case that can fit the drives we'd like, so they need to sell
> us an external storage enclosure, which really jacks up the price of the
> systems.

At work we've noticed that the major OEMs like IBM, Dell, and HP are
making a shift and assuming that if you're buying a rack mount server
that you're going to be using either a JBOD or some form of network
attached storage.  For the most part they are assuming that the
internal drives are for the OS only.  It's not that you can't buy a
rack mount server with plenty of drive bays from the major OEMs,
they're just becoming rare.  Just my $.02.

--
Brandon
Kiva.org - Make a small loan, Make a big difference