[wplug] non dell system builders

Eli Heady eli.heady at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 22:51:26 EST 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 19:05, Patrick Wagstrom wrote:
> I'm helping to order some machines for some research here at CMU.  Dell
> came back with a pretty outrageous quote, mainly because they don't have
> a rackmount case that can fit the drives we'd like, so they need to sell
> us an external storage enclosure, which really jacks up the price of the
> systems.  Does anyone have good experience with any non-dell system
> builders?  Ideally it would be someplace like what Monarch Computer used
> to be, where you can go online, select your cpu, hard drives, raid, etc
> and get a nice little web quote.
>
> The key element is that they have some sort of support we can get for
> the machine if it breaks.
>
> Any suggestions of good people, either local or otherwise?
>
> --Patrick

We've used Penguin Computing. I've been very satisfied with their support -
I've only used their phone support on non-critical issues though - never any
returns.

They seem to do a lot of storage solutions, maybe they can cater to your drive
needs? Looks like they are offering dual Xeon 5100 and Opteron 2000's right
now, can spec with SATA, SCSI or SAS.

-eli