[wplug] non dell system builders

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Mar 14 18:05:53 EST 2007

I'm helping to order some machines for some research here at CMU.  Dell
came back with a pretty outrageous quote, mainly because they don't have
a rackmount case that can fit the drives we'd like, so they need to sell
us an external storage enclosure, which really jacks up the price of the
systems.  Does anyone have good experience with any non-dell system
builders?  Ideally it would be someplace like what Monarch Computer used
to be, where you can go online, select your cpu, hard drives, raid, etc
and get a nice little web quote.

The key element is that they have some sort of support we can get for
the machine if it breaks.

Any suggestions of good people, either local or otherwise?

--Patrick