[wplug] old PC games?

Rick Reynolds rick at rickandviv.net
Tue Mar 13 11:15:42 EST 2007

Patrick Wagstrom wrote:
> Jason Jerome wrote:
>> I'm surprised no one mentioned the various emulators out there yet.  I
>> recently hooked up a retired pc to my tv and play a bunch of games on
>> it.  It helped that my parents never let me buy another system after
>> our Atari 2600, so a lot of these games are still new to me.
>>
>> The one thing I would recommend is buying a USB converter for
>> whichever game controller you have (or find at Goodwill).  I bought a
>> PS2 -to-USB converter and use a PS2 controller for all my games.  It
>> hands-down beats any computer "gamepad" I've ever had.
>
> On reason why you haven't much discussion of emulators is because the
> way that most people use them is illegal.  Downloading roms is never
> legal unless you're getting them from an authorized source.  StarRoms
> tried to build a legal business model around this, but folded.  It's
> questionable whether or not using a cartridge dumper is legal or not, as
> the variation on copyright law has not be fully tested in the courts.
> Despite the fact that many roms are no longer published, and the vendors
> may have long since disappeared, that doesn't grant them status of
> "abandonware" or anything like that.  The fact is that every creative
> work since 1976 is under copyright, which means that only the copyright
> holder has the right to reproduction.  Just because you have an item on
> one media, doesn't mean you can download it.  That's why it's still
> illegal to download ripped DVDs even if you own the DVD.  It's up to the
> courts and government to carve exceptions out.

This nuance of copyright law interests me.  Can you point me to some
sites or articles that discuss it a bit more fully?

I'm not interested in rehashing (with obligatory arguing and flaming)
copyright issues again in a list.  But I would like to do some more
reading on it for myself, if possible.

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
  "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it
would be a merrier world." -- Thorin Oakenshield