[wplug] Serving Apps to Self

Michael H. Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 09:34:11 EST 2007

Usually, these apps can be run anyway, whether you've got a server version
or not.  It may take some tweaking, but if you've wanted to play with PHP,
then... maybe you'll get to play with apache or mysql too.

Personally, I prefer compiling and installing apache and mysql myself.  If
you do it automagically through Synaptic or something like that, you're
never quite sure how its set up, where this file is or that file.  That's
just my opinion.

But if you're just going to be doing some light weight or development work
on such a system, there's no reason you can't run the server on your PC.
Download the tar ball of the app you want to run, look at the readme or
install file, and you should have enough to start on.

If you've got a sufficiently beefy PC, another way to go is to run it under
a virtual machine, such as Xen or vmware.  This is mondo-convenient once its
setup, because its easy to start, stop, restart, or restore to a point in
time.  Functionally, its not that much better, but from an encapsulation
standpoint, its much cleaner.

Mike