[wplug] Speakers wanted: How do I do that?

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Thu Mar 8 18:26:43 EST 2007

Following up on Bill's earlier message, the topic for our March 10
General User Meeting is How Do I Do That?  we're still looking for
people to give several brief presentations on Linux and Open
Source applications that are popular counterparts to what people
in the Windows world might be familiar with.  An example might be
to demonstrate The GIMP as an alternative to Photoshop.

Head on over to the wiki page at
<http://wplug.ece.cmu.edu/wiki/index.php/How_Do_I_Do_That%3F>
and sign up at the bottom.  If you'd like, you can also fill in
some of the empty spaces in the matrix comparing Windows and Linux
applications.

Ideally, your topic/presentation should be task-oriented.  For
example, if your subject is The GIMP, don't plan to go through all
of its different features.  Instead, select a particular task, such
as cleaning up a digital photo to put on your web page, and show
how you would accomplish that (e.g., removing red eye, adjusting
contrast, cropping, scaling, etc.).

Note that we cannot guarantee that you will be able to access the
Internet during your talk, so make sure it's possible for your demo
to function correctly without net access.

Thanks, and if you've got any questions fire away on the -plan
list!

Oh, and volunteers are also welcome for set-up/hosting/pizza/etc.:
<http://wplug.ece.cmu.edu/wiki/index.php/Meeting-20070310#Meeting_Staff>.