[wplug] Best Buy's insanity ...

Michael H. Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 12:22:12 EST 2007

I think I interpreted the article differently than you did.  My
interpretation is that BestBuy maintained a 'look-a-like' website on their
intranet, which was the same as the public one, minus some special offers
and discounts.

But even if it is like you describe, a feature that lets employees check on
the advertised price, isn't it important to get that right?  Wouldn't you
make sure you included discounts and sales when you're designing this
functionality?  Wouldn't you test these types of cases when you're rolling
the system out?  Didn't somebody notice before this got to the AG?  Its a
lot to swallow.

I generally say "Don't attribute to malice what can be attributed to
incompetence."  But BestBuy doesn't have a clean record here.  I'm not going
to google this to confirm it, but didn't they have a thing where they kicked
shoppers out of the store for writing down prices?  Didn't they settle with
the AG of NJ (for a small amount) over rebate fraud?