[wplug] Kernel config

Brandon Poyner bpoyner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 15:56:34 EST 2007

On 3/5/07, Scott F. Kiesling <kiesling at pitt.edu> wrote:
> Somehow I managed to lose the config for my currently-working
> kernel, because I recently installed a new one using oldconfig
> and didn't change it much and it didn't work. I can tinker
> and eventually get it to work, but I was wondering if there
> is a tool with which one can query a built kernel to extract
> the config settings. I've googled, perhaps ineptly, but have
> not found anything (just thousands of howtos on kernel
> compiling)

Some Linux distributions put the running kernel config in /proc/config
or /proc/config.gz.  Others such as RedHat and CentOS place a copy of
the distribution kernel config in /boot/config-*.  I guess the answer
depends on your distribution.

--
Brandon
Kiva.org - Make a small loan, Make a big difference