[wplug] Gparted destroyed my new WD Passport

Brandon Poyner bpoyner at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 21:50:40 EST 2007

On 3/3/07, Scott F. Kiesling <kiesling at pitt.edu> wrote:
> Tried that, same result as gparted run without the livecd.
>
> Running dd just locked the computer up after a few hours.
> I'm gonna send the drive back; it doesn't seem like a good
> drive should do this.
>
> Thanks for everyone's help.
>
> SFK

I have a pair of 160GB WD Passports that I use for backing up files.
For various reasons I only use them under Windows at the moment.  One
thing I can note about them is that they don't work with underpowered
USB2 ports.  Under Windows, if I tried writing to the drive while it
was plugged into the on board USB2 port it would do a constant
mount/unmount cycle.  Same thing happens with my iPod mini.  I had to
purchase a USB2 card to fix the problem.

--
Brandon
Kiva.org - Make a small loan, Make a big difference