[wplug] RAID performance

Michael Skowvron michaels at penguincentral.org
Fri Mar 2 12:41:05 EST 2007

Patrick,

On software vs. hardware RAID:
Software RAID benchmarks higher than hardware RAID because you tend to
have all CPU resources available for the RAID calculations during the
test. On a heavily loaded system, software RAID could end up having a
big impact on system performance because the software RAID calculations
compete with other tasks for CPU resources. So, hardware RAID may be
slower, but it will be consistent performance regardless of system load.

For comparison, my 3Ware 7500 using 4x250GB PATA drives in a RAID5:

Write:
bfs:~/lmbench2/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu # ./lmdd of=/safe/lmddtest move=1g
sync=1
1073.7418 MB in 26.7281 secs, 40.1728 MB/sec

Read:
bfs:~/lmbench2/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu # ./lmdd if=/safe/lmddtest
1073.7418 MB in 12.0338 secs, 89.2270 MB/sec

Your 9500 series should outperform my old 7500 series. BUT.... I was
using null buffers to and from the device. Your test was to copy a large
file from one place to another on the same device which tests
simultaneous read-write.

Here's what I get for simultaneous read-write:
bfs:~/lmbench2/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu # ./lmdd if=/safe/lmddtest
of=/safe/copy sync=1
1073.7418 MB in 44.5771 secs, 24.0873 MB/sec

What stripe size did you use when you made the RAID5 volume?

Did the RAID complete the initial bind before doing your performance test?

Also, keep in mind that you are testing streaming reads and writes and
you plan to use the unit for random access database queries. Latency on
small I/O will be more important to your MySQL performance.

Can you download and compile lmbench, repeat these same tests, and
report the results?

Michael