[wplug] RAID performance

Moshe Katz-Hyman mokatz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 11:16:51 EST 2007

I would agree.  What one _really_ gets from HW RAID (especially in
full server class hardware) is not performance of the drives, but
performance of the admin.  Ease of use in building and rebuilding the
array, hot swap capabilities, degredation alerts, and the like.

For my home machine, I don't mind dropping down to single user mode
and/or opening up and rebooting the machine to fix a dead drive, but
in a production environment, I want to see a little red light, pull
out the tray, slap in the new one and be done.

Moshe