[wplug] linux software raid

Rick Reynolds rick at rickandviv.net
Wed Jun 20 13:14:16 EDT 2007

I have a server running software raid5 on 4 250GB drives (3 data + 1
parity).  The drives in this machine are all on PCI IDE controllers,
so I have a spare IDE controller on the motherboard.

I'd like to add a spare drive to the array and connect it via the
motherboard controller.  But if the spare gets consumed by a drive
failure in the array, I'd like to move the spare to the other
controllers (where the dead drive formerly lived) so that it can
participate in the array with the same hardware as the others (I
don't really know how "good" the onboard controller would be, but it
ought to be fine for this purpose).

Will Linux raid tolerate that?  E.g., the spare drive would probably
change its name from /dev/hdb to /dev/hdk (or something similar).
Would the array just figure that out and put me back in business?

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
Win95 is not a virus; a virus does something.