[wplug] upgrading question

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Jun 14 18:05:43 EDT 2007

On Jun 14, 2007, at 9:36 AM, O'Connor, Michael P. wrote:

> I am thinking of upgrading my Linux box from FC2 to FC7, are there
> any gotchas I should watch out for? (Ok so I hold off on updating
> too long)
You'll really want to reinstall from scratch for this.  I suggest
creating an archive of any data you have, and back it up someplace,
because you'll also want to reformat any partitions you had.  Things
like SELinux require you to have extended attributes in your
filesystem, and I believe the defaults for Fedora Core 2 created a
filesystem unable to handle EAs.  Once you can wrap your head around
SELinux, it is really very nice.

It used to be you could update from the prior release with Yum, but
it looks like the Fedora people are discouraging this for FC6 to
Fedora7.  I did a clean install, preserving only my /home, although I
could do that because my /home already was created with the
appropriate filesystem parameters.

I like Fedora 7.  It works a bit better with Xen and SELinux so far,
and I haven't noticed much of a problem with stability so far.  I've
had it on my system since the day 7 was released (although I was
running 6.93 or whatever the pre-release was).