[wplug] upgrading question

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jun 14 09:45:08 EDT 2007

> I am thinking of upgrading my Linux box from FC2 to FC7, are there any
> gotchas I should watch out for? (Ok so I hold off on updating too long)

You're better off doing a clean install.

There are FAR FAR too many gotcha's to list.  Linux is a completely different beast than it was a few years ago, especially on the desktop.  You're talking about the introduction of HAL, CAIRO, DBus, SELinux, NetworkManager, Mono everywhere...

Maybe, just maybe, if you've never installed packages from an alternate YUM repository it **might** work.  But for a jump that far, just clean up a partition on your disk and install on a new partition and migrate your personal data.  If you don't have a clean partition, spend $30 and pick up an 80G hard disk.

--Patrick