[wplug] About the vfat

Diana A. Clarion dclarion at fnordnet.net
Thu Jun 7 14:26:04 EDT 2007

Thanks, Tom.

I don't *think* that you're missing any point, it's all user preference.
Unlike most riders of the 61C, I'm listening to *Beethoven* on my MP3
player, so the order in which the player finds the files becomes
important.  I'd like to be able to fall through each movement of the
Eroica Symphony, for example, in order, just as Herbie von K would have
presented them.  My player is so cheap that it doesn't show anything
more than an index number for each file, so I'd have to *remember* the
order in which the files appeared in the directory for the purpose of
pushing the little button to find the one I wanted.  I have the memory
of an elephant; what's an elephant got to remember?

On a directory that's seen deletions and additions, I'm not guaranteed
that files will appear in the order I sent them over; it's all about the
chain of deleted inodes or vnodes.  Ergo, I was hoping for some way I
could shuffle the nodes manually.  If it's not to be, it's not to be.

Incidentally, though, I've found one thing that mildly annoys me about
Ubuntu and its hotplugging.  I bought and installed dosfstools for the
purpose of making filesystems on SD cards, but Ubuntu won't let me use
it.  I can't make a new filesystem on a mounted card -- of course -- but
if I umount the card, the system won't see it, even if I kluge an entry
in /dev.  It's only a mild annoyance, though, and besides, there's
another system here that *will* let me use dosfstools.

DAC