[wplug] Question vaguely involving vfat

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 6 19:34:28 EDT 2007

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:53:33 -0400
"Diana A. Clarion" <dclarion at fnordnet.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 16:15 -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
>
> > which is the same order "-f" prints the listings.  Perhaps
> > this is what she needs to do, copy/move the files in place
> > in the order she want's them seen?  Can't hurt to try, and
> > in my few second testing, it seems to do what she wants.
> >
> That's one thing I've tried.  It works, but it's a major pain.
> "Re-formatting" the memory card is a better solution than that.  I was
> hoping, though for something that would work in situ and not depend on
> my camera for "formatting" the card.  What if I drop it tonight?

At this point, you may end up being stuck just recreating the
file system on that device.  A major problem with vfat file
systems is that, at least in the UNIX world, everything that
usually is stored in the vnode is actually stored in the directory
entries.  This poses a lot of problems when dealing with file
access and, in many cases, implementations of fat file systems
on UNIX just use the file system vnode instead of directory vnode
for manipulation of directory and file entries.

What it comes down to is, this is unfortunately how file systems
work and that this really isn't a file system or kernel issue, it
appears to me that this is more of a user preference (what to
play and when) and I'm surprised you don't have an option to
just select the files.  Perhaps I'm missing the point somewhere?

--
Tom Rhodes