[wplug] What do you think? a $99 computer

Bobbie Lynn Eicher bobbie.eicher at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 21:10:31 EDT 2007

On Jun 1, 2007, at 3:03 PM, Zach wrote:

> On 6/1/07, terry mcintyre <terrymcintyre at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> If you "sizzled" all those components, one wonders if there was a
>> decent
>> surge protector, or what?
>
> I had all my power cords plugged into one of those $5 surge strips.
> What would you recommend?

Poke around online for surge protectors rather than power strips.
Surge protectors often have guarantees from the makers that if it
fails they'll replace equipment that was damaged by the power surge.
(If it's a $5 unit, it seems likely to me that it's more just a power
strip than a proper surge protector).

In some cases people prefer an uninterruptible power supply that both
provides the surge protection and protects the system from a sudden
loss of power as well, but considering the budget that you mentioned
I think that the cost is likely to be more than can be justified.

Also, keep in mind that some power supplies can damage other
components when they fail.  I actually had a (cheap) power supply in
a (fortunately also cheap) computer fail recently and take the
motherboard out with it.  It had a power supply without any kind of
safety features to protect against that because it was a cheap
computer and the company who built it was cutting every corner they
could.  (I ought to have replaced it at some point but I was never
terribly attached to that particular computer and didn't want to be
bothered with it.)

- Bobbie