[wplug] What do you think? a $99 computer

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 09:17:18 EDT 2007

On 6/1/07, Michael H. Semcheski <mhsemcheski at gmail.com> wrote:

> A couple of notes:
>
> Dell probably sells a machine that fits your bill.  Personally, I'm
> not that aware of what they sell for $400, but there is something, and
> I'll bet you can get it sans windows.  The whole Ubuntu + Dell thing
> is nothing new.  They've been selling Redhat and SuSE for years.

Ah good to know.

> As far as putting it together yourself, its not a terrible way to do
> it, almost always the cheapest way, but it is tough when something
> breaks (especially if thats your only computer.)  And something will
> break.

My laptop is sick so the new system might well be my sole one for a
while. I got burned in the past,  my first computer (desktop) I
assembled from parts myself, 1 month after the 12 month warranty my
video card, sound card (was high end one!), 1 stick of ram (other one
was fine) and mobo get sizzled :-( So I was stuck and it cost me like
$800 to replace all that (this was ~6 years ago). So I am very wary
now of assembling my own system, I have the comtence to do it i
believe but having such short warranties really is dangerous, at least
will Dell you get a nice 3 year full warranty or such on the system.

zach