[wplug] What do you think? a $99 computer

Michael H. Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 08:12:43 EDT 2007

> i am looking to build my own desktop and have then ship to to me and
> get a good warranty
> on all the components, my price range will be $400 max. Anyone know of
> any good sites where i can select the  pieces i want and see the final
> price (within my budget). Don't need a monitor, already got 19" CRT.
> especially interested in linux friendly system, don't need MS Windows
> either. i heard core duo systems generate too much heat so just single
> core for me i guess.

A couple of notes:

Dell probably sells a machine that fits your bill.  Personally, I'm
not that aware of what they sell for $400, but there is something, and
I'll bet you can get it sans windows.  The whole Ubuntu + Dell thing
is nothing new.  They've been selling Redhat and SuSE for years.

As far as putting it together yourself, its not a terrible way to do
it, almost always the cheapest way, but it is tough when something
breaks (especially if thats your only computer.)  And something will
break.

I think the Zonobobobo computer looks pretty neat.  So long as you
don't use more than 10GB of space.  I have less than that on my
laptop, but I keep all my music and videos on another computer.  I'd
like to see more stuff use s3.