[wplug] Help with Installing 500GB Western Digital Drive

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Jul 30 15:17:05 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 14:59 -0400, Greg Simkins wrote:
> The file is 1mb so I have to put it on a separate 1.44MB floppy disk.

???  I didn't think IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and COMMAND.COM took up more a
couple hundred KB?

> I am afraid to start this process if I don't know exactly what to do.  I
> figure that I could type:
> a:\>afudos /ib:I8019A00.500, but I have no idea what would happen if it
> doesn't load properly.  I didn't find anything yet about loading
> directly from BIOS - I will keep looking.

The most I can recommend is Read the Fine Manual (RTFM).  You might be
pleasantly surprised to find out you can just plop the "binary" BIOS
update file on that and have the BIOS directly load its update --
_without_ any OS booting.  In many cases, this is "safer/better" anyway.

> I ran uname -r and got:  2.6.20-15-generic.  I downloaded it recently so
> I assume it is the latest 64 bit system.
> cat /etc/lsb-release ==>
> DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
> DISTRIB_RELEASE=7.04
> DISTRIB_CODENAME=feisty
> DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 7.04"

Hmmm, that's recent.

I can't speak to Ubuntu, but the stock kernel (despite nVidia's best GPL
efforts right on the kernel) often lacks "sata_nv" (SATA) and
"forcedeth" (NIC) updates at times.  I know the Fedora-Red Hat kernels
often include patches that are not in the stock kernel, but I haven't
looked in awhile (I'm way too much of a Fedora-Red Hat lackey that I
don't notice).

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com