[wplug] Help with Installing 500GB Western Digital Drive

Greg Simkins gregsim at telerama.com
Mon Jul 30 14:59:02 EDT 2007

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Hence the questions ...
> - What kernel are you using?
> - What distro is this?
>
> Kernel can be found with "uname -r"
> Distro depends, but it's sometimes in "cat /etc/*-release"

Thanks for the help.

I was able to get the floppy drive functioning and a floppy system disk and booted up on that.  I ran afudos.exe and get this message:

Usage: afudos /i<ROM filename> [/o<save ROM filename>]

I presume the second option /o is not necessary.  I guess it wants me to
type something like
a:\>afudos /iI8019A00.500

The file is 1mb so I have to put it on a separate 1.44MB floppy disk.  I
am afraid to start this process if I don't know exactly what to do.  I
figure that I could type:
a:\>afudos /ib:I8019A00.500, but I have no idea what would happen if it
doesn't load properly.  I didn't find anything yet about loading
directly from BIOS - I will keep looking.

I ran uname -r and got:  2.6.20-15-generic.  I downloaded it recently so
I assume it is the latest 64 bit system.

cat /etc/lsb-release ==>
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=7.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=feisty