[wplug] Script to import TXT into mySQL

Kevin Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Thu Jul 26 20:43:58 EDT 2007

I currently have a bash script that will allow my to input a new user
into my mySQL table for the postfix email system.  It reads the
necessary 3 variables from the command line with:

     echo -n "Mail adress: "
     read MAILADRESS
     echo -n "Password: "
     read PASSWORD
     echo -n "Quota: "
     read QUOTA

What I need to do is now alter that script so that I can input ~4000
users :-)

I have the info in a text file, and I am thinking of using a counter
with a while loop to read the text file. "the meat" of the original
script will be put into a fuction that gets called during the loop.

Here is the text file:

     user1 at example.org
     user2 at example.org
     user3 at example.org
     etc

Here is the basics of the script that I am thinking of using:

     function themeat ()
     {  assorted stuff here }

     # The two default settings
     PASSWORD="changeme"
     QUOTA="50000000S"

     # Find the number of lines in a $parsefile
     noline=`wc -l $parsefile | cut -d" " -f1`

     # Need to repeat themeat for each row of the $parsefile
     x=1   # initalize x for my counter
     while [ "$x" -le "$noline" ]; do
          MAILADDRESS=`sed ''$x'p $parsefile`
          themeat
          x=`expr $x + 1` # Increase counter by 1
     done

So my question... How can I make sure that MAILADDRESS does not get any
accidental trailing white spaces?  I don't want "user1 at example.org   "
to go into my database.

also, if anyone has a more elegant way to do this, I would be happy to
hear it :-)

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org