[wplug] Re: MD on atop of LVM (or LVM2's native RAID), instead of LVM on top of MD -- WAS: Install Question

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Jul 25 22:20:44 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 20:55 -0400, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:

> 8GB?  I'd end up with negative 3GB leftover for / and /home and swap!
> #df -h
> Filesystem          Size      Used     Avail     Use%   Mounted on
> /dev/hda2          2.3G      783M   1.5G      36%    /
> tmpfs                 94M            0     94M
> 0%     /lib/init/rw
> udev                  10M         56K   10M        1%     /dev
> tmpfs                 94M             0    94M       0%     /dev/shm
> /dev/hda4         1.4G          91M  1.2G        7%     /home
> /dev/hda3         719M     209M   473M      31%     /var

Obviously if you have less than 16GB, you are probably just / and swap.
No argument there!  ;)

I'm talking about today's commodity 250GB/platter -- 250GB being the
"price/capacity" for entry-level at around $60.  It was just
160GB/platter less than a year ago.

[ SIDE NOTE:  For true enterprise fabrication, and not "enterprise
rated" commodity, you're typically 143GB now, since 300GB is the
flagship size).  Same deal. ]

In the 2.5" notebook space, with the new 250GB 5400rpm commodity, 160GB
5400rpm is now less than $90 as well.

> At least having /var separate means I don't have to worry about /
> filling up and refusing to let anyone log in, right?  Apt isn't going
> to be in use pretty much ever on this machine.  I'm not installing
> Synaptic, so nobody here will have any idea how to install
> anything ;)

Argumentative.  Be realistic.  ;)

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com