[wplug] Re: MD on atop of LVM (or LVM2's native RAID), instead of LVM on top of MD -- WAS: Install Question

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 20:55:44 EDT 2007

On 7/25/07, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

> 2GB?  2GB?  For /var?  Where you been?  ;)
> Both APT and YUM use /var/cache.  Not enough.
>
> Make a stock 4-8GB /var.

8GB?  I'd end up with negative 3GB leftover for / and /home and swap!
#df -h
Filesystem          Size      Used     Avail     Use%   Mounted on
/dev/hda2          2.3G      783M   1.5G      36%    /
tmpfs                 94M            0     94M       0%     /lib/init/rw
udev                  10M         56K   10M        1%     /dev
tmpfs                 94M             0    94M       0%     /dev/shm
/dev/hda4         1.4G          91M  1.2G        7%     /home
/dev/hda3         719M     209M   473M      31%     /var

At least having /var separate means I don't have to worry about / filling up
and refusing to let anyone log in, right?  Apt isn't going to be in use
pretty much ever on this machine.  I'm not installing Synaptic, so nobody
here will have any idea how to install anything ;)

--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169