[wplug] Install Question

Michael H. Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:22:16 EDT 2007

On 7/25/07, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 11:19 -0400, Michael H. Semcheski wrote:
> > I'm setting up Scientific Linux (for all intents and purposes, read
> > that CentOS) on a brand new machine.  This machine has a 3ware RAID
> > card.
>
> Which 3Ware/AMCC card?

The card is the 9650SE.  3w-9xxx seems to be working.

I think the problem traces back to an installer bug, where grub
doesn't get installed even though it should.  So now I'm trying to
boot to a rescue cd to rerun grub-install.

Unfortunately, when I boot into the rescue cd, there is /dev/sda1
which has grub on it (apparently not installed correctly) and
/dev/sda2, but I can't mount /dev/sda2 to get to /sbin/grub-install.

This is (I think) because its an LVM volume.  There's something about
"mount /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01 /mnt/sysimage", but I can't get
the volume actually mounted, and thus I can't install grub.  Maybe the
easiest thing is to get a knoppix cd, boot it, and run grub-install
off of it.

Mike