[wplug] LUG Interest Waning?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Jul 24 15:46:46 EDT 2007

> Anyhow, my two cents' worth: the WPLUG can provide a valuable resource to people working with Linux at all levels. If you want to grow the organization, reach out to all sorts of organizations in Western Pennsylvania - many colleges and universities, high schools, Perl mongers, LAMP sigs, other users groups, professional organizations, and so forth. If a couple WPLUG evangelists make it a habit to visit and promote WPLUG at other organizations every week, you'll be needing a larger meeting space before you know it.

This comes back to the volunteer nature of WPLUG.  I think everyone is
aware that more exposure would be better, but it's not free, and it's
not as easy to do as you might think.  I did a ****load of work promoting
WPLUG last year (and I wasn't the only one) and it met with success, but
it was only a tiny fraction of the effort that is required to really
get the word out with the correct image attached.

Again, this is _why_ we formed the PR committee, because people realized
that this would require an organized effort to accomplish.  If you'd
like to help, even a little bit, please contact Vance and volunteer
whatever time you can spare.

Big organizations (let's take the PTC as an example) hire people
to do this.  They take the dues from their members and use them to
fund full-time employees.  We're not that big (yet), so we still have
to rely on people sacrificing some % of their spare time.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com