[wplug] Makefile help

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 00:56:56 EDT 2007

I just inherited the maintenance of a FOSS client (ANSI C) and I was
expecting to find a configure.in or at least a Makefile but instead
there is:

"Imakefile" (many #if statements and it also has SRCS and OBJS)
which #include's -> "Project.tmpl" (many #define and #if statements)

"Project.tmpl "
which #include's -> "Project.rules" (some #ifndef and #define statements)

My question is twofold (note I am a beginner at Makefile and autoconf):

1) Is there any easy way to convert this Imakefile setup into a normal
Makefile setup?

2) Even better is there a straight forward way to convert this
Imakefile setup into an autotools setup so that a user can just run
"./configure"? I have generated a configure from an existing
configure.in by running "autoconf" but that is the extend of my
knowledge on autotools :)

I guess this would be a good chance to learn autotools and Makefiles.
Any good free guides or open books on either 1) or 2)? Some have
already warned me that autotools is not easily mastered and not for
those with a poor constitution :)

I googled some on IMakefile and xmkmf and it seems most have either
abandoned or don't recommend it!

Zach