[wplug] LUG Interest Waning?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Jul 24 14:49:49 EDT 2007

> On 7/24/07, Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org> wrote:
> > You're painting my comments as if the whole of WPLUG's advertising was
> > toward CMU students, and excluding any other university or non-students.
> >   I'm just going to ignore the trolling.
>
> That's not a troll.  I think there's a bias toward CMU in the group.
> The meetings are at CMU, the servers are at CMU.  A lot of the active
> members have current or past CMU affiliations.

Of course there's a bias.  CMU has been very good to WPLUG in the past,
providing meeting space, hosting, etc.

I don't see it as a negative bias against anyone else, it's just that
when CMU is making it so easy to do everything at CMU, then everything
gets done at CMU.  If organization X was giving us free hosting, free
meeting space, and free internet; there'd be a bias toward doing things
with organization X instead.

Despite the _obvious_ reasons for bias toward CMU, we _have_ made a
number of efforts to promote outside of CMU, with a table at Pitt,
Open Pitt mags in public libraries all around the Pgh area, etc.

I don't think "bias" is as correct a word as "convenience".

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com