[wplug] LUG Interest Waning?

Max Putas maxblaze at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 08:50:10 EDT 2007

Advertising is key. I was the president of the Athens Area Linux User's
Group (affiliated with Ohio University) about 4 years ago, and I saw
interest sky rocket (5 -> 30 + people) after I put some serious effort into
creating nice looking flyers, rather than just doing the usual cop out bland
font with a penguin on it. I don't have as much time to do those types of
things anymore, but I'm very willing to send them to anyone who wants to
take a look. The other thing is that you really need to reach out to brand
new users. A lot of people aren't even aware of what Linux is capable of,
especially on the desktop. A well thought-out presentation on just some
useful (and very cool) applications should draw a lot of people if
advertised correctly.

On 7/24/07, Brie Gordon <brie.gordon at gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand where you're coming from. If you were looking to attract the
> college crowd, it could have some value, provided it didn't violate your
> philosphies.
>
> Myspace. That's just crazy talk.
>
> 2007/7/24, Michael H. Semcheski <mhsemcheski at gmail.com>:
> >
> > On 7/24/07, Brie Gordon <brie.gordon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > you guys by chance. I guess that's my verbose way of saying that
> > better
> > > publication would help - a lot! Maybe a facebook group? I'd help out
> > with
> > > it. If that's something you've already discussed or I'm beating a dead
> > horse
> > > let me know. Flyers? T-shirts (I know it's geeky but if they were
> > sweet
> > > T-shirts, I'd wear one)?
> >
> > I was discussing this on IRC last night -- personally, I don't think
> > I've ever used facebook, and I'll bet many of who've been around for a
> > minute are not tuned in to things like myspace and facebook.
> >
> > We don't want to just go and create a facebook page, because there
> > could be password and ownership issues, but its something worth
> > investigating...
> >

> > See this article:
> > http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/22/1717244
> >
> > Maybe the new Linux user's are out there, but they're not finding
> >

> --
> Brie Gordon
>

> "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war."
>
> --Hyman G Rickover

Thanks,

Max Putas
Graduate Student, Telecommunications
Systems Analyst, Graduate School of Public Health
University of Pittsburgh