[wplug] My distro beat up your distro (yet again, sigh) -- WAS: OS X on Linux?

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 03:59:01 EDT 2007

Set it up once, then backup ~/.gnome and ~/.gnome2 and ~/.gnome2_private
(what's the difference between all those anyway?) and copy them into your
new ~ on each box.  Also, you may like to check out Sabayon (the program,
not the distro).  It lets you set all your settings, then save (if I
understand correctly) a GConf profile of those settings.  You can save
multiple ones and use Sabayon to switch between them.

Wow, I need to get around to getting a newer graphics card.  Websites just
are not made for 800x600 these days. *grumbles that Google devs should know
how to do fluid layouts*

On 7/22/07, Michael H. Semcheski <mhsemcheski at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/22/07, Patrick Wagstrom <pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> > It's a shift in mindset, but it's a little like going from C programming
> > to Python.  Once you realize that you don't need to mess around with
> > settings you'll be much more productive.
>
> I really appreciate this mindset.  On the one hand, I like getting
> software like nautilus setup the way I like it (List View, never Icon
> View).  On the other hand, I hate setting up my computer.  I want to
> sit down and start working, not start working on getting my computer
> setup for work.
>
> Another thing I don't like, and its hard to avoid as requirements
> evolve, are hugely complicated menu systems and configuration forms
> with all kinds of options and checkboxes and radio boxes and combo
> boxes, etc.
>
> This is basically my mindset in choosing a distro -- I want something
> that will work, and continue to work, at a basic level with a minimum
> of interference.

Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169
ACM Member #3445683