[wplug] My distro beat up your distro (yet again, sigh) -- WAS: OS X on Linux?

Michael H. Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 22:48:37 EDT 2007

On 7/22/07, Patrick Wagstrom <pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> It's a shift in mindset, but it's a little like going from C programming
> to Python.  Once you realize that you don't need to mess around with
> settings you'll be much more productive.

I really appreciate this mindset.  On the one hand, I like getting
software like nautilus setup the way I like it (List View, never Icon
View).  On the other hand, I hate setting up my computer.  I want to
sit down and start working, not start working on getting my computer
setup for work.

Another thing I don't like, and its hard to avoid as requirements
evolve, are hugely complicated menu systems and configuration forms
with all kinds of options and checkboxes and radio boxes and combo
boxes, etc.

This is basically my mindset in choosing a distro -- I want something
that will work, and continue to work, at a basic level with a minimum
of interference.