[wplug] OpenGL -- doh! VCL (that would have been good to know ;)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Jul 19 18:22:41 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 18:04 -0400, Michael H. Semcheski wrote:
> In some ways, its a little like "this can't be this easy...
> there must be something I'm not anticipating."

No, OpenGL can actually be that easy, with caveats at times.

Remember, OpenGL (original IrixGL) was designed for real geometry,
lighting, setup, etc... from the get-go (with some changes).  If you're
not doing much, it really is "that easy."

It's not like Direct DOS Memory Map (DirectMM -- hence the foundation of
the DirectX technology name ;) and all that legacy non-sense.  Most
people don't realize that 32-bit Windows was designed to run OpenGL from
day 1 -- it was called NT circa 1993 (and 1992 for those of us that saw
it).  That was before "Chicago" which resulted in DirectMM because
OpenGL ran like crap on an OS that constantly Shunted between Real86 and
Protected386/Virtual86 (aka 386Enhanced).  There is so much of that
legacy garbage to Direct3D setup I don't even want to get started.  ;)

> I wouldn't say that I don't have any complaints about Borland, but by
> and large, I'm very happy using their VCL environment.

Most everyone is extremely happy with VCL, far more than MFC, as long as
you don't mind being tied to Windows.

> Well, I was out for a while, but they pulled me back in!  At least
> this time I'm paid.  I think we graduated with the same honors,
> though!

No, no one bests me story.  Took me 3 semesters to graduate from my last
class (Physics III aka Modern Physics), although I didn't make any other
grade less than a C.  Of course, I did work full-time throughout
college, but that's hardly an excuse.

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com