[wplug] OpenGL -- doh! VCL (that would have been good to know ;)

Michael H. Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 18:04:01 EDT 2007

On 7/19/07, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> You're all set then.  You have a framework.  You know it.  OpenGL is
> just the additive.  I wish I would have known you were already using
> VCL.  I wouldn't have even mentioned SDL as a consideration.
>
> That's why I wanted the application (and, hopefully, the related context
> where you were coming from ;).

There's a lot to this application.  I've been working on it for years.

> > But, this stuff is still fairly deep for me at this time.
>
> It sounds like you're just fine.  You're just adding OpenGL atop of a
> framework.

I think I'll be able to get through it, but I really want to nail it
(eventually).  In some ways, its a little like "this can't be this
easy... there must be something I'm not anticipating."  And at other
times (remember to load those identity matrices!) a real, err,
learning experience.

> Borland had it's OCX framework for awhile...

I wouldn't say that I don't have any complaints about Borland, but by
and large, I'm very happy using their VCL environment.  Well
integrated, fairly consistent, etc.  Of course, I'm not sure whether
its Borland or CodeGear.  I think you have to check the lunar cycle to
know what they're calling themselves these days.

> I'm over a decade removed from U Can't Finish** now, from which I
> graduated with an EE that should have been marked with the honors "Summa
> Damn Lucky," so you're way ahead of me.

Well, I was out for a while, but they pulled me back in!  At least
this time I'm paid.  I think we graduated with the same honors,
though!