[wplug] OpenGL

Michael H. Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 16:29:29 EDT 2007

> > My application involves drawing hundreds of small 3d objects, and
> > viewing them from different perspectives (ie, rotating and translating
> > them).

> Hello World OpenGL.  ;)

Its not that much more than Hello World, although the 3d stuff is only
a small part of the whole.  3D is cool, but there aren't too many
journals that can print in 3d!  So, there's a lot of 2D manipulation.

> > I've already got the application working, with an OpenGL panel and
> > a few objects, and this is not the time to change the underlying
> > architecture.
>
> Oh, so you are already leveraging GLUT?

I'm using glt/gl.h (opengl) and glt/glu.h (opengl utility functions).

My application is built on top of Borland's VCL (yes, Windows), so I
have the menu, window system, message handling in place.  I've got a
panel on one of my frames which OpenGL is drawing on.

I believe that all of the stuff that either SDL or GLUT can do that I
need to, I've got it covered.  (Not positive.)

But, this stuff is still fairly deep for me at this time.
Fortunately, I'm at a university, so I have access to ebrary, which
has everything I saw at Borders available online.  (Although
admittedly, when I go to Borders, I sort of get tunnel vision.)