[wplug] FTA and MythTV listings

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Thu Jul 12 13:15:16 EDT 2007

>> I have three machines dedicated to MythTV, but I am worried about the
>> Zap2it ceasing their free TV listings. I am sure there will be a solution
>> in the future. Otherwise, I've been toying with FTA satellite and MythTV.
>
> I fail to see how switching to FTA satellite will be a solution for the
> impending problems with zap2it.  You're still going to be without
> listings.  In any case, in Pittsburgh, you more or less need at least
> the $14/mo version of cable from comcast (provides local, local hdtv,
> tbs, wgn, g4, courttv, and a few others) if you want to catch anything
> local.

 	Switching to FTA satellite? Nah, just adding the two -- one
circular, and one linear (for 119W and 97W, I think). The other two
machines will still be plugged into Comcast's cable. The Satellite
channels do EIT for their over-the-air program guide.

 	I think I need an HDTV tuner card to do EIT through Comcast cable,
as I haven't been able to pick-up the listings on-air with my two analog
tuners quite yet. I'm still fiddling with that, but I am not so hopeful in
that respect, or the MythTV folks wouldn't be so worried.

 	As it is, I've got a couple of months before Zap2it goes dark, and
I'm still hopeful that there will be a fix before then.

 	Asside from the impending guide issues, I've been really happy
with MythTV, and I've had a blast playing with it.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.pghwireless.net