[wplug] Verizon DSL opinions?

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jul 12 09:44:29 EDT 2007

> Zach wrote:
>
>> Can you get a static ip with cable?
>

> Not for residential service.  I have heard that Comcast may give business
>  accounts static IPs.

This is a little misleading.  I've had Comcast in the city for three years and during that time, I've had a handful IP addresses -- it didn't even change when I moved to Greenfield from Lawrenceville.  One of the changes was a result of a power surge coming through and thrashing my cable modem, a new MAC basically guarantees a new IP address.

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://patrick.wagstrom.net

To help mediate this, I've got my DNS hosted through dyndns.org.  Back in the day, I paid $30 to have them do DNS on my site for life, now they charge something like $30/yr.  Anyway, you can configure most routers (like the WRT54G) so they'll ping dyndns.org when they see their external ip address has changed.

--Patrick