[wplug] Verizon DSL opinions?

curlynoodle at gmail.com curlynoodle at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 08:54:04 EDT 2007

Zach wrote:
> Just saw Verizon has a new offer [1] and it's 728 kb down / 128 kb up
> ADSL for 1 year @ $14.95 a month. I read the fine print though: while
> you get a free DSL modem they want you to buy a $49.99 wireless router
> from them (guess Verizon has an agreement with a manufacturer to
> schelp their wifi routers!), there is $20 activation fee (I've seen
> other DSL offers with no such fee), and if you terminate service
> within months 2-12 (I plan on moving in the autumn) you incur an $80
> early termination fee. The offer itself sounds good but I'm worried
> about all these add on charges. Oh and they said there is extra
> charges for taxes and some other stuff.

I recommend Nauticom DSL (if available at your address).  It is $40/month for
3M/1.5M, included modem, static IP, email, personal web hosting, and no contract.

Generally, they do not allow servers on their connection.  However, you may ask
for exception in writing stating the services you wish to provide.  I was
approved for Asterisk and VPN on my connection without issue.

Dave