[wplug] [wplug-announce] wplug's ip address to change 7/10/2007

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Wed Jul 11 07:40:22 EDT 2007

I'll comment on the status in line...

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Beth Lynn wrote:

> The IP address of wplug.org www.wplug.org, penguin.wplug.org, and
> erie.wplug.org will change to 128.2.204.143 between 4pm and 5pm on Tuesday
> July 10, 2007. The old ip address of 128.2.194.8 may remain cached for a day
> or two after the change.

The initial ip address change did happen around 4:50PM.
A second network restart was done around 7:30PM to clear an old gateway.

> Here are some questions that I'm sure some of you will ask.
>
> Why is this happening?
> Our current co-location host is Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science.
> They have decided to renumber many hosts on their network. penguin.wplug.org
> is just one of those hosts.

They renumbered 100's of hosts over a 3 week period.

> What wplug services will be affected?
> * All of the mailing lists - wplug, wplug-announce, wplug-plan, wplug-erie,
> wplug-internet, wplug-members wplug-bsd, wplug-market, and wplug-jobs

Some posts between 4:50pm and 12:00am were rejected by a spam filter. If
you think this happened to your post, repost it if it doesn't surface by
tomorrow.

> * the main website www.wplug.org
This has been up since 7:30PM yesterday.

> * email to/from @wplug.org

same comments as the lists.

> * monkeybot on irc.freenode.net on #wplug

he should be ok. if he's doing something weird, just say something about
it on the irc channel.

> * The Open Pitt distribution http://www.wplug.org/top

let the presses roll.

> What wplug services will not be affected?
> * The meeting this Saturday
> http://wplug.ece.cmu.edu/wiki/index.php/Meeting-20070714
> * The wiki at http://wplug.ece.cmu.edu/wiki
> * IRC at irc.freenode.net on the #wplug.org
> * The Linux Documentation Project mirror ldp.wplug.org
> * http://erie.wplug.org will be down but http://www.erielug.org should be
> fine

Still not affected.

> Hey! Didn't you say that you were moving wplug.org?
> There are plans to migrate these services to another provider. This is a
> matter that the internet committee is working on. If you want to join the
> internet committee then sign up for the wplug-internet mailing list.

yup. We are working on it.

> Why don't you set the Time To Live (TTL) really low before the switch?
> Our DNS provider is joker.com. Their default TTL is 24 hours. I've contacted
> customer service to see if there is any way to change this. They lack support
> to change the TTL. Yes this bites but we will live. We will live. As part of
> the internet committee I will recommend that we find another DNS provider so
> that this is less of a hassle next time we need to make a DNS change.
> Unfortunately it is too late for this time.

The TTL continues to be an issue. Some hosts may continue to try to
resolve to the old domain name. I've heard that local comcast and pair
networks customers resolve OK.

> What can I do to limit the interruption?
> You can set the ip of 128.2.204.143 for wplug.org, www.wplug.org, and
> penguin.wplug.org in the hosts file of your computer for the time being.

If you still have trouble resolving, this is an option.

> Has wplug.org been hijacked?
> No. Everything is under control.

We are still not hijacked.

Thanks for your patience!