[wplug] LDAP help

Kevin Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Tue Jul 10 15:19:11 EDT 2007

I am about to set up an LDAP addressbook for our staff.  As of right
now, that is the only thing it is going to be used for.  In the future
thought, we may use it for authentication for a number of services
(staff wiki, blackboard, etc).

We may also wish to later set up a seperate, student only, address book.

with those two things in mind ---

Should I set up the addressbook as "ou=addressbook,ds=pavcs,ds=org"
like most of the tutorials say, or am I thinking right that it might be
better to do "ou=addressbook,ou=staff,ds=pavcs,ds=org"

Will the second setup allow for a "staff only" address book, and/or a
"staff only" authentication backend without adding/doubling up on the
entries in the database.

If it matters, the staff addressbook will be "deny all" and "read users"
with only admin having write access.

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org