[wplug] moving windows in X?

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jul 10 07:03:25 EDT 2007

Zach wrote:
> Still having problem where some apps (such as gs) or apps' dialog
> boxes (such as saving a file in Firefox) have dimensions such that it
> falls off my desktop (1024x768), this is really annoying. I tried
> googling for X.Org solution but haven't found any. Also this problem
> seems to be wndow manager agnostic (have observed it in fvwm2, twm,
> fluxbox, and a few others) and I thought it may have been an XFree86
> issue but the problem has persisted since I switched to X.Org as my X
> server. A general solution that makes some sort of absolute bounding
> box for the screen which apps can't violate or a feature to
> dynamically resize windows to some sane geometry if they start up with
> a geometry that would cause them to fall off the screen would be
> ideal, but even a command in X to grab and physically move a window
> would be better than nothing. :) I'm running 2.6.18 kernel with Debian
> testing release, GNOME 2.18.0-1, FVWM 2.5.21, and X.Org 1:7.2-5.

Window managers control placement of windows.  While the app can request
placement of a window, the window manager is the final arbiter of window
placement and can choose to allow or deny the request.

There are window managers that don't allow windows to fall off the sides
of the screen, RatPoison, for example.  I believe there also is an
option for Compiz to not allow windows to go off the edge of the screen.

--Patrick