[wplug] [OT] Linux PDA-phones with sync (and apology for Crackberry top-posting) -- WAS: Linux laptops

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Jul 4 11:15:50 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 16:11 +0000, Bryan J Smith wrote:
> ... top post ...

First off ...

My apologies on the top-posting, which is all Crackberries let you do.
And instead of including all the prior text, I'll just cut it off.
I.e., all the Crackberry will let you do is either quote everything at
the bottom or nothing, so I'll just cut it all off.

I used to carry a Treo with Eudora, which bottom posted, but I haven't
had a Treo last more than 6 months and they are $150+ to replace, even
with insurance.  Blackberry 7230/7290 models are $40-80 refurbed and
unlocked.

Secondly ...

I'd carry a Linux Smartphone (PDA-phone), but none of them have as good
of sync as Palm -- hence why I stuck with the Treo prior.  I need an
Evolution sync, as Evolution has been my calendar/contact manager for
well over 5 years now.  The Crackberry is tolerable, because I can sync
to Google, Yahoo and a couple other web-based contact/calendars and pull
it down with a plug-in for Evolution.

As such, is there a good Linux Smartphone out there that has good sync
with either Evolution directly, or via a third party site between the
Smartphone and Evolution?

Otherwise, I'm seriously considering setting up my own SKYRiX
(OpenGroupware.ORG) server once-and-for-all since it has its own,
extremely flexible and open backend with more connectors and
client/device support than any other system.  Especially if there are
already some solid connectors for a few Linux Smartphones.

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com