[wplug] xhost?

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jul 4 00:21:32 EDT 2007

Zach wrote:
> my_laptop$ ssh -l  foo at remote_box
>
> remote_box$ ./bar &
>
> output is displayed on my local X server on my_laptop
>
> how exactly would i do this (and preferably in a secure manner)?

Start off by using SSH 2 instead of SSH 1.  Seriously, your packets will
thank you.  Then examine the use of the -X and -Y flags in the man page
which detail different ways that SSH can automatically tunnel X11.  This
has been around for at least 8 years now.  Finally, consider the use of
the -C flag on the command line to force the data to be compressed,
yielding some nice benefits for X11 sessions.

Alternatively, you can put an entry like this in your ~/.ssh/config

Host remote_box
	ForwardX11 yes
	ForwardAgent yes
	User foo
	Compression yes

Then you can get away with typing "ssh remote_box" and forget about all
the flags.

--Patrick