[wplug] Linux and XP

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Mon Jul 2 10:05:46 EDT 2007

Weber, Lawrence A wrote:

> Is there anything special I need to do to install Linux as a second OS
> on a PC that already has XP?  After several attempts to install a
> variety of Linux distros, the PC always boots directly to XP.  It looks
> as if GRUB is not executing.

As part of the install, it should ask you if you want to write to the
master boot record.  Many distros will automatically detect another OS,
such as windows, and create the appropriate GRUB entry.

If you don't have this, boot off a rescue CD, and chroot into your
newly-installed OS's root directory.  Make sure /boot is mounted, if it
is a separate partition.  Then you can run 'grub-install /dev/sda' (if
you have a SCSI or SATA disk, it'd be 'grub-install /dev/hda' if you've
got a PATA or old-style IDE disk).

That'll install on the master boot record of the first disk.